Drastic Action
As you know I have had a serious case of writers block later. Well desperate times call for disparate measures so I went out and bought a new car. (Anybody catch that word play? Wolber? sorry for ending a few of the following sentences in a preposition;)
Yes it's the Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD and it's pretty cool. I've been having buyers remorse up until actually getting it, but now it's sinking in that it's pretty cool. I don't think I've had a new car since Cathy and I got married although there's been a few that she's been primary driver of. Now it's my turn.
It comes with a 6 mon free subscription to Sirius Sat radio (which has a mind boggling number of stations), and USB plug-in for charging those devices, and MP-3 input to the stereo, and a 110VAC plug for computers etc. Supposed to get 30 city and 27 hwy....we'll see. It has the soybean based foam in the seat cushions (as seen on TV), and recycled material in the upholstery. Am I green or what. Seems to drive pretty nice but so far just had it on the road back from the broker and it was dark and snowing with heavy traffic and kind of miserable so i wasn't really driving very fast. So many of the newer cars seem poorly made and tinny, but when you close the doors on this is sounds solid....like maybe it's actually well made. Again, we'll see. I did manage to get in on the tail end of the Federal tax rebate program so I will get a bit of a tax break next year to lessen the bite of the purchase cost. While not an off-road vehicle per se it is reviewed to have fairly robust 4WD system that can handle most difficult driving situations unlike many all-wheel-drive vehicles. Too bad they put crappy tires on as stock equipment. They're a Michelin Latitude that's supposed to be an all-season tread, but I already noticed they don't grip well while braking and it's not the pattern I'd prefer for snow. Hopefully the 4WD will over arch those short comings and it's almost spring.
Anyway this will be replacing the classic '65 Volvo as soon as I can sell it. It's not really an all weather car so that was one reason for getting the Escape. It also has a limited life so I figure it won't be worth more than it is now after all my restoration, and since there was one ugly reappearance of rust-out (which was fixed) it's only a matter of time before more of that appears. Anybody want to buy a vintage 122?

1 Comments:
I thought you didn't like Fords? This looks like a pretty nice machine and a decent compromise between size and fuel economy. I've been happy w/ our current and last daily driver Fords. I wish Ford would go back to the early 90's fuel mileage technology though. Our '94 escort averaged mid 30s mpg. Have fun with the Escape1
Post a Comment
<< Home